Let’s create Levitation magic again! This time it will be even more magical as it is an elaborate piece with more elements to composite. Shadows come into play too.
RafyA’s tutorial is fast paced so remember to replay the video for a review of the lesson. The video is at a nice length of 15m 21s.
You will need Intermediate skills to follow along. Links to the work files are provided for practice & effective learning.
If you are wanting to have a quick start, check out the other post.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- Quick Selection tool
- Refine Edge
- Layer Defringe
- Clipping Mask
- Levels & Curves
- Dodge & Burn
- Clone Stamp
- Selective Color
- Gaussian Blur
- High Pass Filter
Summarised for the busy people
- Extract the Model from the background with Quick Selection Tool & Refine Edge. Top Tip: Use Layer Defringe for clean edges.
- Blend Model (2:00) > Add S-Curve contrast, Brighten and Dodge & Burn midtones at lower exposures
- Add Chair (3:48)
- Blend Chair > Levels Adjustment layer to Darken, Desaturate, Dodge & Burn
- Add Shadows (5:15) > Paint with Black Brush, Transform, adjust layer Opacity
- Add Vase. Touchup Vase (7:39) > Erase unwanted parts. Clone Stamp & smudge to construct Vase mouth
- Add Flower (9:38) > Erase unwanted parts. Shorten the stem. Erase middle part. Cut top to another layer. Move to join with bottom part. Merge Down layer.
- Blend Flower > Dodge bright areas.
- Add Water (11:08) > Use special Brush. Shape with Transform & Warp.
- Add Background Texture & Scene Lighting (12:12) > Paint Orange #ff8711, Transform, Screen Blending Mode. Do this in several layers. Adjust Opacity to match. Top Tip: Group the Layers to organise your work
- Color Toning the Image (13:45) > Levels (Blue & Red channels) & Selective colors
- Finishing Touches (14:20)
As always, if you find this tip useful & helpful, do click Like and let me have your feedback in the comments.
Feel free to share if it will help others. Sharing is caring. 🙂